Thursday, March 19, 2009

Getting Down With The Swirl!

(Pic taken from Burnt Mill Candles & Soaps)





That's a little play on words because this phrase actually means different things to different people. I'm using this term to mean swirling soap colors. One of my biggest challenges as a soap maker has been how to achieve all those beautiful swirls that you see in many of your favorite cold processed soaps. I briefly mentioned this a few posts back when I talked about Saponifier mag's Best Swirl Contest. I also mentioned that they were offering a book dedicated to the various swirl techniques: cold and hot processed swirling, swirling in the pot, swirling with multiple colors, even m&p swirling! I had to have this book! It was available in 3 formats: booklet form, cd form, and a PDF download. You know which one I got right? The instamatic PDF download baby!!!


I tore into this book, and guess who was one of the guest "swirlers"? Misty from Burnt Mill Candles & Soaps! Misty, you didn't tell me you're a published star!!! I always wondered how you made your soaps look so beautiful, and now I do. It's going to take some practice, but I'm going to give it a try. I'll post pics soon!

1 comment:

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

I may not have placed in the contest but I did write a small tutorial :)

I didn't know they were doing a hard copy printed version(the one I got) or I would have used higher rez pictures. Hope you still get the general idea of my swirling.

Can't wait to see what swirls you come up with.

I attempted a new one out of the book myself but I messed up and had to change the game plan. So I will have to try again on a future batch.