Friday, March 6, 2009

ArtFire Artisan Spotlight: Heathers Paints and Prettys


If it's Friday, then it's time for the ArtFire artisan spotlight! This week's feature is from Heather's Paints and Prettys. Heather and I found one another on Twitter, so here we are! Check out her interview!


1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I am a jewelry designer, hot glass artist, metal clay artist, polymer clay artist, and oil painter. I am also a licensed Aesthetician. This means that not only can I give you a facial, waxing, and makeup lesson to make you look fabulous, I can also sell you the accessories for your new look as well:-D


2. How did you discover your artistry?

I started out making jewelry for my own use because I have a nickel allergy and can’t wear a lot of the jewelry available in the department stores. People started to ask me to make them pieces, and then started telling me I should make them to sell to the general public and it just blossomed from there. I started making my own lampwork in 2005 and that transitioned into metal clay and then oil painting. Now I am starting to make tiny paintings into focal pieces for jewelery.


3. Do you craft full time or do you have another full time profession?

My art is a full time job for me but I also work outside the home as an Aesthetician. If I didn’t have the outside job I think I would forget how to talk to people face to face.


4. What brought you to Artfire?

I stumbled upon ArtFire by accident. I was blog hopping and a bunch of different blogs had links to ArtFire on them. After seeing the name 4 or 5 times I got nosey and decided to check it out. I liked what I saw so I registered and eventually got a verified membership.


5. What are some of your favorite materials or supplies to use?

I will use just about anything I can get my hands on. I love lampwork, polymer clay, and metal clay of course. I also love seed beads, gemstone beads, and pressed Czech glass. However I don’t limit myself to traditional materials either. I have made a necklace out of broken windshield glass at a clients request, and I look forward to the opportunity to make special pieces for people out of their cherished momentos.


6. If you could learn to do any other craft or artistry, what would it be?

I would like to learn how to do stained glass. I don’t know how to solder and I think that would be an awesome technique to know how to do. I even have a draft drawn up of a necklace I would like to make when I know how to do stained glass with a nice little stained glass piece as the focal.


7. Do you have a blog, website or other craft venue that you sell on? Yes, Yes, and yes J
http://www.squareonebeads.com/ is my personal site
http://www.heatherdesigns.1000markets.com/ is my 1000 Markets shop
http://www.squareonebeads.blogspot.com/ is my personal blog
http://www.skincarebyheather.blogspot.com/ is a blog where I offer advice on skin care.


8. What’s your overall impression of Artfire and would you recommend it to fellow artisans? So far, I really like ArtFire. I haven’t had any sales yet but of all the venues I have tried they are by far the most responsive to customer needs. I had a problem once and they actually called me on the phone to walk me thru it. I have never had any other web site do that. As such, I would highly recommend ArtFire to anyone looking to buy or sell quality handmade goods or supplies.


9. Now, for the fun!!!
a. Coffee or tea? Do I have to choose? I drink coffee in the morning and herbal tea most of the rest of the day.
b. Cat or dog? Two dogs, one 10yo German Shedder, one 10mo Boxer/Lab puppy
c. NY or LA? NY, never been to LA but Manhattan is tons of fun
d. Paper or plastic? How about reusable canvas instead?
e. Fame or fortune? Fortune, money can’t buy happiness but its more fun than being poor.


I already posted a question on Heather's skincare blog. Can you believe I'm almost 38, and I still break out like a teenager??!! Yuck!

No comments: