Monday, November 24, 2008

To Sample or Not To Sample Before Purchase?


That is the question? I received an e-mail from a potential buyer the other day asking me very nicely if she could sample my Orange Chocolate Truffle Body Balm? My immediate reaction was, "Have you lost your damn mind? You have the nerve to ask me to send you something for free???" Whoa!!! I had to take a step back and re-evaluate this. I truly feel like I'm on the cusp of something really tremendous. I have someone who took the time to visit my website and show genuine interest in something that I made, but she wants to try it before she buys it. Why was I so angry initially? Was it because I was expected to come out of pocket to give a freebie? Yeah, it was. I'm not gonna lie to ya. What was $1.57 in postage compared to a possible lifelong client? Maybe she'll fall in love with her sample, and buy a few full sized products for herself and her friends. Maybe she's a big time magazine editor shopping for some cool indie finds. I sent my lady prospect her sample, and I hope she adores it and comes back for more. I'm glad I cooled off and acted with some level of professionalism. I'll keep you posted on the outcome of "The Sampler."


1 comment:

Joanna Schmidt said...

I stopped sending out samples. Imade trial sized items and I would offer a 10% discount. What you and I should really do is offer a Sampler Pack, with a small sample of a bunch of stuff and charge a flat rate for it, offer it on Etsy and then there is no excuse for her not just getting a little.

Your choice being right or not. I spend hundreds of dollars sending out anything people asked for - yeah, my need to make people happy, but I do not have the money to do it, and I think a lot of people are fishing for free stuff.

I hope you make a sale out of her. I haven't tried your stuff, but it looks delectable.

God luck, honey!!