Thursday, November 20, 2008

Shyness Can Kill Your Business

Someone over on Etsy convoed me the other day (that's contacted me via the Conversation tool for all you non-Etsians)and asked if I would be willing to participate in a local craft show on December 6Th. Of course my first reaction was "Hell yeah," but then I thought about it for a sec and basically replied "Hell no!" Of course I was the utmost professional in declining the invite, but now I've been thinking: Why did I say no? Was it because this show was only 2 weeks away and there was no way I could pull it off in such short notice or was it because I was afraid of the crowd and talking to people? I am so not a people person. I don't do well in crowds. I'm a poor socializer (I haven't Twittered in over a week!) My sister did all the selling for me. I just stood there nodding and smiling and answering questions if a shopper had one. I felt so awkward. Thank God for the Internet. If I had to talk to you good people face-to-face, I would die! I've always been an introvert, but it's high time that I start shaking this shyness because it's affecting my ability to grow my business. While it is too late to rescind my declination, I will do the next one when asked. Now is the time, if I want this venture to succeed!!!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I am the same way Patrice. I have gone so far as getting a PR/Marketing Person to do my bidding for me. I meet with her next week and she is going to do the fishing while I reel it in. I just dont have businees knowledge or the "balls" to approach businesses with my products-even though noone has ever said they suck (or anything like that) to my face.
rejection is hard to swallow, but I feel that if you have a good solid product (LIKE I KNOW YOU DO!!!) YOu should go for it! YOu're spunky, personable, and can totally sell your produc-believe in that and you will do just wonderfully! Good Luck-and try a show.

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

I know! I know! I am taking baby steps...