Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Hope and A Prayer

Good Morning Decadent Subjects,

I think I've found the answer to my biggest challenge making soap: the oils! These damn oils are going to be the death of me. Soaping is a science, so I'm learning the hard way. Who knew that mixing lye, water, and something as basic as Crisco oil could produce Ivory soap. Okay not Ivory soap exactly, but you get the picture. I won't even go into how expensive soaping oils are. I'm talking olive oil, palm oil, and coconut oil to name the biggies. I'm a novice, and I don't have money to waste on this stuff and risk making a bad batch. To make a long story short, I found this pre-mixed base at Mission Peak Soap. It's a blend of coconut, palm, extra virgin, castor, and canola oils with a little rosemary extract thrown in for good measure. They say this bucket will yield 4 pounds of soap. I'm going to be making a 2 lb batch using my plastic loaf mold. This bucket of pre-mixed oil cost me $16.95 which is pretty good considering I'd pay that alone for just the olive oil. Of course, I'll have to add lye and water. Follow me as I make my first batch. Keep your fingers crossed. I bought two buckets of this stuff, so it better work:-) Tune in later as I do the set-up.





A special shout out to Pepper for graciously posing with the "bucket"

1 comment:

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I have never attempted to make soap, but it doesn't sound like an easy task! It must be rewarding to see the end product, but still, I give you props for the hard work and dedication to your craft =)