Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bitch Post #8: Non-Paying and Shady Buyers!


I haven't done one of these in a long while, and oh, my friends, I’ve been stewing like that bunny in Fatal Attraction-just ready to boil over! I’ve been having a steady number of sales on Etsy in the last couple of weeks, but nothing burns me more than a non-paying buyer! It even says in the final checkout…”You are committing to buy”-as in PAY! I’ve been burned twice in the last month!

The first incident wasn’t a non-paying buyer, but my spidey instincts started tingling and told me that something was fishy. This buyer had a really low feedback rating because of non-payment. She did not pay me initially when the transaction was completed, but after we traded a couple of convoes, she paid me. Red flag #1: She stated she was located in the US when she was actually in Canada-so I ate the costs of the extra shipping which wasn’t a whole lot, but it was misleading and dishonest! Red flag #2: She then sweetly hassled me about giving her positive feedback because she received negative feedback from a very reputable Etsy seller due to non-payment. I mailed her package on a Saturday. A week later, I get a convo from her that she still had not received the package. I explained it was mailed via USPS and provided her with a tracking #. To wrap up this horror story, I ended up refunding her the full purchase price and cancelling the sale. She may truly not have received that package because USPS still says the package was “accepted” for mailing, but there is no delivery confirmation or otherwise. I’ve never had a problem shipping a package to Canada until this incident. I don’t get it!

The second incident was a brand new buyer to Etsy. He joined the same day that he bought a soap from me. He didn’t pay. I figured it was because he was new and may have been confused about how things operated. So I convoed him to thank him for his purchase and explained that I would promptly ship his soap once payment was received. Three days passed and nothing, so I ended up cancelling that sale too!

So now I’m nervous after every sale. I never give feedback to a buyer until I receive payment, but now I’m wondering if I’m jumping the gun. I don’t like to hold feedback hostage, but should I wait until I receive feedback before I give feedback? Also, should I give negative feedback to a non-paying buyer then cancel the sale, or should I just cancel the sale and be done with it? I’ve never had this happen to me before. I’ve always read about it, but I’ve never been a victim til now. I’m beyond pissed….ARGHHHHH!

5 comments:

Julie said...

I have in my policies that I leave feedback either:
1. One week after the USPS indicates that the package has been delivered via delivery confirmation
2. After receiving an email/convo that the package has arrived and everything is in good condition.
or
3. After receiving feedback.

That way, it's spelled out, they don't have to leave feedback if they don't want to whatever reason; and I don't feel like I'm holding feedback "hostage."

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

oh that sucks! I read about this kind of stuff and it does make me slower to give my feedback at times just in case.

I think I will try what Julie Suggested.

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

one more thought
I added this to my message to buyers after they order

read about it on the forums

If you haven't done so already, please complete payment, and I'll ship your item right out to you. Here's a link with tips and FAQ if you need any help
http://www.etsy.com/help_guide_checkout.php

GloriasJewelryBox said...

I am so sorry to hear about that! I will definitely take other people's suggestions about leaving feedback. Can't you contact ETSY to have the listing fee refunded and leave negative feedback for the non-paying customers?

2 Virgos Designs said...

feedback is all about honesty and if negative feedback is earned then so be it! I would definitely leave negative feedback for if all attempts with the buyer have met with no satisfying response.