Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Consolation Prize: New York


So I get a call from my sister Myia about a month ago asking if I could get the week before Memorial Day off. I knew she had something sinister up her sleeve, but I didn't think she was planning a trip to The Dominican Republic! "Nooooooooooooooooooo..." I told her. But then she told me that she paid for the airfare and hotel. Okay, I'm thinking, maybe I can roll after all, but wait: There were some hidden fees involved: expedited passport, $160.00, round trip train fare from DC to NY and back, $200-ish-probably more..." WHOA NELLY!" That's almost $400 and I aint even left the country yet!!! That, along with my lovely parting gift from the IRS has left me destitute (okay, I'm exaggerating, but all my "play" money is gone.) When I broke the news to Myia, she was silently pissed and disappointed (I think more so because the tickets are non-refundable.) So, what do I get out of it-a trip to NY for her birthday weekend. That's doable-I only have to spring for a gift and dinner. I was secretly looking forward to going to DR though. A really good friend of mine is a native of that country, and she always talks about how beautiful it is. Why couldn't I be like Jesus and whip the sin out of the tax collectors??

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. And thanks for the compliment!

I would want to go to the Dominican Republic too, but I can't even afford to take a day trip to the coast. Stupid recession and taxes.

If you can do something about it, please let me know! :) I would love it if I could solve all the worlds' problems!

Pattie said...

crazy times man :( sad that you can't make it but understandable
And whipping the sin out of the tax collectors made me lol
Good times