Monday, October 27, 2008

But Why Do You Charge So Much....

when I can buy a 5 pk of soap from Wal-Mart for $1.99?

I get this question all the time, and my reply goes a little something like this:

"I can understand why you think I am overcharging for a bar of soap, but let's really look at what you are getting for your money: The "soap" you're buying for $2.00 at Wal-Mart isn't soap, but a detergent bar. A detergent bar is just that: A bar of foaming agents and other additives mixed together with a bunch of heavy fragrance that's mass-produced and packaged very prettily. What I sell is real, handmade soap. It's primary ingredients are olive oil, palm oil, and coconut oil. My soaps retain their natural glycerin to deliver a naturally foaming, ultra-moisturizing cleansing experience. The stuff you buy at Wal-Mart is stripped of its glycerin and replaced with other non-pronounceable additives that rob your skin of its natural moisture. That's why your skin sometimes gets that dry, itchy feeling after you've showered or bathed. Using natural, handmade soap not only delivers moisture, but with continued use, can help your skin retain moisture...."

It sounds like a long monologue, but when you're engaging a potential client, you're not only selling your client on your goods, but you're educating them as well. Many people don't know what real soap is made of, how it's made, and the benefits of the ingredients that you use to make your soap. Nine times out of ten, I've won over the prospect and turned them into a paying customer, but you still will get that one who only speaks in dollars and cents. You can't win 'em all, but an educated consumer is truly your best customer (I took that right from Syms, but it's true!)

3 comments:

Stephanie R. said...

All I can say is that the people saying you over charge obviously have never tried homemade soap. You can tell a huge difference between the two!

Joanna Schmidt said...

yay that!

Real soap is totally different and I didn't know it until I tried it.

Unknown said...

I get that a lot also. I make jackets and when people tell me that they can buy jackets at Walmart I just say, that's nice. But if you can get this one-of-a-kind,well made jacket at Wal-mart show me and I will buy it for you myself. I like your answer better. I will try to more informative next time.