Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Making Lemonade

It's so funny how when I'm making candles, all I can think about is making soap, and when I'm making soap, all I think about is making candles. It's a sick obsession I tell you. I haven't made any CP soap in about two or three weeks, and I'm having serious withdrawal. I've been busy making soap favors for Rochelle's baby shower (I'll post on that next week) and I've been voraciously cleaning my apartment. I've promised to not do any more crafting in the kitchen-except to melt wax on the stove. Everything else will be done in my dining room/studio from this point on.

I've made two batches of soap this week, and neither has turned out like I want. I used the rest of my SoapQuick from Mission Peak Soap (Check out my older posts for the lowdown on SoapQuick.) I really like that this is a pre-blended mix of oils. It's a lifesaver for experimenting and/or cranking out mass quantities of soap. I'm a small-batch gal because I feel my skills are not yet to the level where I feel I can sell a lot of CP soap, but don't get it twisted, my soap is sell able, usable, and lovable:-). I just haven't mastered the art of the swirl or layering yet, but I'm working on it!

My first batch of soap was supposed to be Strawberry Jam with strawberry seeds added for light exfoliation. As you can see, the soap looks almost white. I don't know what I did wrong. I'm using red mica powder that I got from Go Planet Earth, but it appears as if I didn't use enough. Also, my fragrance is virtually undetectable. I don't think i used enough of it either. I usually use anywhere from 1.0-1.5 oz of FO per pound of oils, but I didn't measure this time (note to self: measure the damn FO's!) I think the bars are cute though. We'll have to wait and see what the verdict is once they fully cure.

My second batch is called Rain Water that I actually got from Candle Science (it is bath and body safe.) It's a very light and crisp floral. I'm not a big fan of florals but I really like this one. It's also got essential oils of grapefruit, tuberose, and lemon. It holds very nicely in CP soap. The one thing about this soap that didn't turn out right: the color. We all know that blue colorant (I used pearl blue mica again from Go Planet Earth) does not like lye (okay, now you know.) I used it anyway, and the soap turned out a mint green. I actually like it. My cutting leaves little to the imagination, but I'm excited to see how this turns out.

So in parting: When life gives you lemons, just make lemonade. Next up: Banana Split. I'm going to try layering. Wish me luck!

No comments: