Sunday, June 29, 2008

Eww!!!!

I was really in the CP (that's cold-pressed for all you non-soapers) soap-making mood yesterday, and I thought I'd experiment a little. I had two new bottles of lye, but no really good soaping oils, but what the heck, I had nothing but time. I decided to work with what I had in my kitchen and use some leftover oils from other projects. So the recipe went a little something like this:

  1. 16 oz. all-vegetable shortening

  2. 8 oz. hemp oil
  3. 8 oz. sweet almond oil

  4. 10.56 oz. water

  5. 4.127 oz. lye (5% superfatted)
  6. French vanilla pear FO from Wholesale Supplies Plus

  7. Green dye

Where did I go wrong? For starters, I used a water based dye. Duh! What was I thinking? When I added the dye to my raw soap, it turned a maroon-ish color. But no, I used it anyway. Hey, aren't Bartlett pears brown? Anyway, I knew I was doomed when I saw my creation turn brown, red, and yellow all at once. But I kept the faith. "It'll be alright," I lied to myself. Well, here is the soap, I mean, oil/lye disaster in all it's glory. Could it have been the oil combo? Or was it the FO? Or was it truly the dye? If someone has some insight, please share. Meanwhile, the meatloaf- shaped atrocity is in the garbage. Happy soaping!






No comments: