Monday, December 14, 2009

CPOP Soap: Blackberry Sage

I have been dying to try this technique for so long, but being the creature of habit that I am, I live by the mantra "If it aint broke..." I am impatient in every aspect of my life. I constantly need instant gratification. Sad, but true. I'd love to try HP (hot process) soap making some day, but I'm just being lazy about it. Truthfully, I love cold process soap making-except I hate the long cure process. So, I discovered the best of both processes: CPOP-cold process, oven process soap making. What's that? I wanted to know too, so I went in search of some answers, and found them on the soapcrafters.com site:

"
In CPOP soap after the soap reaches trace and any colors, fragrance, or additives are mixed in, it is poured into an oven-safe mold and put in an oven that has been pre-heated to 170 degrees. The oven is left on for an hour. After that hour, the oven is turned off and the soap is left in the oven for another 11- 12 hours."

DISCLAIMER: I did not follow the recipe posted on the SoapCrafters site.

I used my own recipe using olive, palm, coconut, castor, and avocado oils. Here's a shot of the soap after letting it bake for an hour. Note that I'm using a wooden mold and I set it on an old baking sheet (which you can't see.) It goes without saying that if you try this, you must use an oven-safe, heat-safe mold. Silicone would work well also. It looked faded and pasty as if the life had been sucked out of it.


Here's a photo of the soap un-molded after more than 11 hours in the stove (I'm not basting a turkey here, so it just sat in the oven overnight.) So far, so good. The soap looks fantastic! It's as hard as a brick and looks ready to go! An added bonus to cpop-ing: It fills your home with delicious fragrance for hours!


And here's the final product-cut and nearly ready for use! I have to say that this is one fine looking soap! It's smooth and hard and show no signs of botchery (yeah, I made that word up, LOL.) I did the tongue zap test, and no zip, zap, or zing! By my calculations, this soap will be ready the 1st week of January. Now how's that for cp soap making!?


22 comments:

Arnita said...

Looks good girl! Something I must try this winter.

Christine Barr said...

very nice patrice!! i've never heard of this before and i practically live on soap sites! i like using the crock pot to make hp, but the main drawback to that is there's not much room for creativity- scraping and plopping globs of hot soap in the mold and banging it on the floor to compact it is not too pretty! im trying this! thanks girl- good job! :)

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

Arnita,

Long time, no see! Miss you girl:)

Christine,

You have to try it! It's so much easier than HP (from what I've read). I think I'll stick with this method for a while:)

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

very nice!

was it harder to cut? I would think the bars would be on the hard side

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

Misty,

The bars weren't hard at all! They were surprisingly very easy to cut. I was expecting the worst, but hoping for the best, and got the surprise of a lifetime!

Mrs. G said...

I love blackberries. I'll check out your shop in January.

Juana said...

It's very very nice Patrice... I make only HP, all my soaps are HP... but I think I try this CPOH... A nice idea...
Muchos besos

Juana

Split Rock Ranch said...

I may just have to try my hand at making soap. I have done melt and pour glycerin soaps but never the cold process or hot process soaps, although I have all the ingredients I need to do it. I'm just afraid I'll muff it up - what's the worst that could happen?

Christine Barr said...

Split Rock Ranch said...- what's the worst that could happen?

now, THAT'S a loaded question!! just kidding!! you should go for it! we all had our first time, and we're still here doing it! how fun it would be to see your first batch! i say having all the oils available was what kept me from my very first time... so you're already set to go. if you're making soap 'in your head' like i was, then you are certainly ready.
good luck! :)

Luxury Bath Foam said...

I love this particular bath soap, it oozes yummy scents and would be great in a gift set with foams and potions!

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

OMG - every time I see your photos - all I can think is how delicious they look - lol!!

bianca said...

I see you are still making beautiful soaps!!!
I've fallen off of the blogging and soap making wagon because of a wedding being planned <<< mine, hahha. So hopefully soon I'll have some time for my favorite hobbies again.

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

Thanks everyone! I just loves positive feedback:)

Bianca-Congrats girl!!! I'm so happy for you. I know the music will be slammin' for sure!

yummy suds said...

very nice! (i'm a cpop junkie!) welcome to the dark side (muhahahahaha!)

Steph Jordan said...

I had a fun fun time on your site! Too cute! Following you and Putting your Badge on my page for all of my friends to see :-)
Merry Christmas

Steph Jordan

Unknown said...

Those are great pics! I was thinking of using the CPOP method to make more soap today. Like you, i am also not very patient. I made soap yesterday HP method and have cut those up and now you have given me hope for the OP process. Did I say beautiful soaps?!??

Unknown said...

Cool looking soap!!!

Lynn said...

I'm very new to soaping, and just tried this. I left mine in for two hours at 170 before turning the oven off and letting it sit there overnight. So I'm wondering... Are you still using the CPOP ethos? I think mine looks soooo nice! I've only made one other batch before this. It was a vanilla soap with no coloring, ans it was so ashy, I ended up hating it. It's ugly! Then I made an almond scented vpbar, kept it simple again. No colorants, but I did add irridescent glitter. It's so beautiful. I'm just waiting for it to turn on me. Also. Is it really ready to use right away, or does it need two weeks? Or more?

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

Hi Lynn!

welcome to the addiction! Truthfully I haven't CPOP'ed in months but based on your method, I would venture to say that soap is basically ready to use. If it's nice and hard and passes the tongue zap test, go for it. I usually turn my oven off after an hour and leave overnight. I'm super paranoid about a soap's readiness so I let it cure an additional 2 weeks. As a reader once told me: Embrace the ash! It gives your soap character and distinction. In this era of fancy swirls and intricate designs, we tend to get caught up in esthetics, but I've now learned to accept function over form. Happy soaping:)

Lynn said...

Thank you, Patrice! I appreciate you answering! Embrace the ash. Hmm. I'll have to keep repeating that. Haha! I've found that if it's just a light ash, andive used some irredescent glitter, you can hardly tell. That's a good thing... Can I ask why you haven't CPOPed in awhile? Just curious. I have so much to learn. I'm just all questions these days.

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

Hi (again) LynnO:)

I haven't CPOP'd lately becuz I've been obsessed with this new cubed soap mold that I'm using, but it's heavy duty rubber and plastic! CPOP will always be my preferred method but I got tired of lining my molds and the oven-safe rubber mold aren't big enough to yield more than 7 good-sized bars...blah blah blah...lol...I'll be returning to CPOPing soon, and yes when theash gets to be too much I resort to my old trusty glitter too. Works like a charm:)

jill at Bittersweet and the little soap company said...

Interesting, very interesting. Would be interested to know the pH level after being in the oven. Do you know what is is? Thank you and great information. 00