Thursday, November 17, 2011

Where's The Beef? In This Soap!


 I know this post may turn some people off-particularly vegans, but I've never hidden the fact that I eat meat. I love meat, and I am of the philosophy that if you're going to kill something for its meat then you should use all parts of that animal. Didn't they do that in pre-historic and the covered wagon days? Oh well, I'm not here to wage a war between vegans and carnivores, so let's get on to the soap shall we?





This is my first time making tallow soap. What is tallow you may ask? Well, quite simply, it's cow fat that's been rendered (the process of removing all the gunk and meaty bits and converting beef fat into a usable resource). Think of it as cow lard for lack of a better comparison. To see the actual rendering in process, check out this post. I have no desire to learn to how to render tallow, so I just buy mine from here. First off, the tallow arrives in solid white form. Duh, it is fat after all, and the smell is a little off-putting like used cooking grease. But wait-it comes from a cow so what do you expect? Double duh...Once you scent your soap accordingly, there is no leftover fried chicken grease smell.


Using tallow in your soap recipe is supposed to help yield a hard, white bar. Well, I can't speak on the white part-mine look very average, but I can attest to the hard part. The loaf came out nice and firm, and I was actually able to slice it up the same day. This particular batch is scented in black raspberry & vanilla. I didn't get too fancy with the design because I didn't know what to expect. The oils I used were very basic-tallow, of course, soybean, palm, and coconut oils. I haven't decided if I'm going to sell these or use them as a deluxe sample with purchase but if you don't have a problem with using animal by-products in your soaps, I encourage you to give tallow a try.

10 comments:

CCG said...

You eat meat, aaaaaannnnnnd; you put it in your soap???

I think I LOVE YOU!!!

KEEP ON!!!

Irene said...

I'm of the same mindset...I love meat and feel it's a waste not to consume it all. I'm experimenting with lard in my soaps...funky smell is lingering in mine - more fragrance needed maybe?

miscellanea said...

I've used lard in one of my soaps and I use this soap every day for my dry skin. It is great. But You have to use loads of EOs to cover the lard smell.
Your tallow soap really looks good. I like it.
Petra

Natasha said...

I also love trying new recipes and additives in my soap. I've used lard and I have to admit, the smell is rather stinky. Right now I use Palm Kernel Oil to get a really hard bar. It works wonders. Think I am going to have to try Tallow and see what's what. I also began adding Raw Silk, which makes for "silky soap"! Of course! This soap looks great Patrice!

Amy Warden said...

I've done the lard, but not tallow. As others mentioned, the lard can be stinky, but the only time I smell it is in my old-fashioned lye soap that is pure lard. Hope your fragrance keeps the tallow smell covered - keep us posted!

Hellcat said...

Nice soap!
Although I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years I use lard in my soap...I know that it seems like a contradiction but I simply like the feel of those soaps.
Haven't tried tallow though because it's a bit hard to get in Germany...as far as I know no supermarket carries it.
Maybe I'll go looking for it because I want to try it as well;)

Rose Clearfield said...

Interesting! I had no idea that you could use tallow for soap making. It's not a secret that I love meat either.

Ladytee said...

Hi Patrice!

Even though you don't qualify, I bent the rules for your blog. I chose you as a recipient for the Liebster Blogger Award. Just because I believe that laughter is food for the soul. When you get the chance come and collect you award.

Have a blessed and wonderful weekend.

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

Sonya,

Thank you so much! And some rules are made to be broken:)

Catherine said...

Dear Patrice, My grandmother made her own soap from the fat too.
I love meat too. It is good for you. Well, I just wanted to wish you a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving holiday. Catherine