Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Am The (Soap) Re-Animator!

Source
Okay, I'm a little over dramatic, but you should be used to that by now. One of my favorite horror flicks is Re-Animator. It's one of the sickest, grossest movies I've ever seen, and I LOVE IT! The premise of the movie is this med student tries to bring his dead professor back to life, and he does, but not without all hell, literally, breaking loose. I encourage you to check it out if you love blood, guts, gore, and humor. So WTF does this have to do with soap you may ask. Well, very simply, I brought these dead-ass bars back to life by re-batching them. It's the same premise...

Cinnamon Buns after un-molding. Beautiful, aint it?
For the record, I am SO DONE with sodium lactate. I followed the rules to the letter, and my bars turn out so hard that they're brittle and crumbly as evidenced by these sapsuckers! I used about 2 tsp of sodium lactate and added it to my water before I added the lye. I don't know what went wrong, but never fear...



Cut and crumbled...


'Scuse the bad pic

I grated these biyotches up so nicely. It was actually very cathartic. I was tempted to make soap balls with them, but I decided to stick with the original plan. There's not a whole lot more to say, so I'll let the pics speak for themselves. So, while writing this post, I've decided that I'm the Re-Batchinator. It looks more like hot processed soap than re-batched. Either way, it works...

Sliced and revived...I'm thinking of "glazing" them with some white M&P soap.

2 comments:

Amy Warden said...

Sorry you've had issues with the sodium lactate. That's one ingredient I haven't experimented with in soap, and now I'm scared to try! I did add some stearic acid to my recipe - only 1%. I think it's helped some with hardness.

Funny Girl - I think you are definitely the Re-Batchinator!!

Two Blooms Design Studio said...

Just made a batch yesterday and used the lower amount of sodium lactate and it's a bit crumbly but will be okay. It's so tricky. I've had good experiences but some bad ones too.

Michelle